These are positive voltage regulators capable of supplying mA of load current. The regulators are ideal for converting a common 5V logic supply, or higher input supply voltage, to the lower 2.5V and 3.3V supplies to power VLSI ASIC's and microcontrollers. Special circuitry has been incorporated to minimize the quiescent current to typically only 10 mA with a full 500 mA load current when the input to output voltage differential is greater than 5V. The LM2937 requires an output bypass capacitor for stability. As with most regulators utilizing a PNP pass transistor. The LM2937 is stable for all ESR ratings less than 5. This allows the use of low ESR chip capacitors. The regulators are also suited for automotive applications, with built in protection from reverse battery connections, two-battery jumps and to +60V/-50V load dump transients. Familiar regulator features such as short circuit and thermal shutdown protection are also built in.
- Fully Specified for Operation Over −40°C to 125°C
- Output Current in Excess of 500 mA
- Output Trimmed for 5% Tolerance Under all characteristic.
- Typical Dropout Voltage of 0.5 V at Full Rated load current
- Wide Output Capacitor ESR Range, up to 3 Ω
- Internal Short Circuit and Thermal Overload protection
- 60-V Input Transient Protection
- Mirror Image Insertion Protection